Patient Information for No Scalpel Vasectomy in Cairns
PDF File Downloads
Patient Information for Same Day No Scalpel Vasectomy in Cairns
- First book your vasectomy in Cairns by ringing Smart Clinics Woree 07 4034-2844 for Same-Day Thursday morning No-Scalpel Vasectomy.
- Pay a 50% deposit over the phone by debit or credit card (usually $300). This deposit is transferable and refundable if you change your mind about vasectomy.
- Our nursing staff will then call and administer a 5-minute pre-vasectomy questionnaire by phone
- You will receive blank consent paperwork for your procedure and more information by email. Alternatively you may download the forms on this page.
- We encourage you to print and read this information prior to your surgery date. You will sign these forms on arrival at the clinic.
- Book time off work – you will need 4-5 days to rest and recover after vasectomy.
- In the 48-hours prior to vasectomy:
- Do not play contact sport or injure yourself
- Do not drink alcohol or use drugs
- Make sure you are rested and have had a good night’s sleep
- If you have electric clippers trim your scrotum and pubic. However please do not wet shave the area.
- On the day of vasectomy:
- You may eat a light meal before surgery
- Bring a clean pair of supportive jock-style underwear
- Please arrive 15-minutes early for your vasectomy appointment
- Pay the final balance owing for your vasectomy when you check-in at reception
- Following No-Scalpel Vasectomy in Cairns make sure you leave clinic with all of the following:
- medical certificate (if required)
- semen sample jar and pathology request form
- Post-Op Information sheet
- It is recommended you bring a driver to take you home following your procedure. However you are permitted to drive if you wish. If you are driving a longer distance > 30 minutes you will need to buy an icepack to use on your scrotum as you drive. There are frozen peas available at the IGA across from our clinic.
- Go home, relax, watch Netflix and put an ice pack on your scrotum.
- Ice pack – over the next 24-hours ice the area gently – a bag of frozen peas works great – 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. This will help minimise swelling and discomfort.
- Take your medication as prescribed by Dr Goldstein.
- In the week following surgery:
- Some mild bruising or swelling is normal 3-5 days after your vasectomy. This will eventually settle on its own
- You may experience some mild discomfort for which usually peaks on on the 2nd or 3rd day following your vasectomy. This pain usually fades away after one week but may linger as long as 2-weeks.
- you may shower on the evening following surgery
- check your wounds for discharge and discuss with the doctor immediately if you think you might have an infection
- Remember to use condoms or make sure your partner is still using contraception (or she may fall pregnant)
- You may resume sexual activity after one week if all is well
- Return to work and normal activities:
- return to work will depend on your occupation – if you work indoors or at a desk you may return the day following surgery if you wish. If you work outdoors or in hot sweaty environments you are best advised to wait 5-days following surgery for your wounds to heal to prevent infection.
- return to sport is usually one week. Discuss with Dr Goldstein if you are unsure about your situation.
If you have any concerns at any time please ring 07 4034-2844 and discuss with Dr Aaron Goldstein. After hours this number will divert to his mobile phone.